Things to Keep in Mind when Hiring a Handyman For Your Rental Property (Property Management Company)
Hiring a handyman to take care of your rental property can be a great idea, especially if you have more than just a couple properties. This can also keep your renters happy as repairs can be made faster and more efficiently than having to hire it out each time. They key is to find the right one – one that will do a quality job, be dependable and trustworthy.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Determine what your needs are. Make a list of the most common problems you anticipate, and try to find the one who can handle the most of those tasks.
- Building a list of prospects is also a good idea. You may want to have more than one that you can call when needed.
- Pay attention to references. Check them carefully, and try to check with other landlords to see who they have used.
- Make sure the handyman has all needed licensing and credentials. If there is any hesitation to provide this information, you could walk away.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints on file about the person Also check to make sure they have some insurance.
- Talk about payment upfront. You should be seeking a long-term business arrangement with this person, so you need to feel good about what you are paying.
- Keep in mind that the handyman may be a property manager in some sense. He, or she, may see repair needs from the renters’ eyes more, as opposed to the landlord who just sees another expense.
- In some ways, a permanent handyman is a means of communication between the landlord and the tenant. Having someone with basic acceptable people skills would be important.
- Keep in mind that hiring a private contractor is simpler than having a direct employee. It may be best to hire your handyman this way. You won’t have to withhold taxes or offer insurance, as the contractor is considered self-employed. You can still do a contract for a set period of time.
If you’re looking for a reliable property management company, contact the team at Mutual Property management today for all your property management services and needs.